Sunday, November 25, 2012

Watching MNF on an iPhone

Peter Kafka had an interesting article about not being able to watch Monday Night Football at his home with his iPhone. I had a couple thoughts and comments about his dilemma which I'm sure is shared by many.

First - being able to watch something on your iPad but not on your iPhone while using your home WiFi is probably an encryption / conditional access / DRM issue. The cable company with any sort of TV Everywhere probably treats your PC, laptop or tablet device the same as a set top box. A cell device is probably a little more tricky.

Second - since it was the Watch ESPN app which should have allowed mobile devices like the iPhone - I have to wonder who Peter had his cell service with. If Verizon has an exclusive on NFL mobile rights then that may extend to the handset. I doubt this is the case but it was the first thing that popped into my head. Maybe iPhones are the exception to cross carrier availability?

Anyway - my two cents on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment